Information for tour operators & coach drivers
Group rate (10+ people): £6 per adult, with driver/organiser – free!
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more
Thirsk, The heart of Herriot Country…
Thirsk is found in the heart of Herriot Country in North Yorkshire. Accessible from neighbouring York, Harrogate, Darlington and Teesside, we’re close to the A1(M) and on the East Coast mainline.
The World of James Herriot is a short walk from the Thirsk town centre. 23 Kirkgate, Thirsk, North Yorkshire, YO7 1PL.
- Thirsk is a compact town that’s easy to navigate on foot: This makes it ideal for a day trip as you can explore the main attractions, wander through the charming streets, and take in the sights without the need for transportation.
- World of James Herriot Museum: The World of James Herriot Museum is a must-visit attraction in Thirsk. It offers a unique and immersive experience, allowing visitors to step into the world of the famous veterinarian and author. Even within a day, you can fully appreciate the exhibits and learn about the life and work of James Herriot.
- Historical Sites: Thirsk is steeped in history, and there are several historical sites to explore. You can visit the medieval Thirsk Castle to learn about the town’s past, or admire the beautiful Thirsk Hall, a Grade II listed building with architectural significance.
- Quaint Shops and Cafes: Thirsk is home to a range of charming independent shops, cafes, and tearooms. Spend a leisurely day browsing through unique boutiques, antique stores, and art galleries. You can also enjoy a delicious meal or relax with a cup of tea in one of the cozy cafes.
- Beautiful Surroundings: Thirsk is surrounded by picturesque countryside, providing an opportunity for a relaxing stroll or picnic. There are nearby parks and green spaces where you can enjoy nature and soak in the tranquil atmosphere.
- Market Days: Thirsk hosts regular market days, typically on Mondays and Saturdays. These bustling markets offer a delightful mix of local produce, artisan crafts, clothing, and much more. You can experience the vibrant atmosphere, interact with locals, and find unique souvenirs to take home.
- Friendly Community: Thirsk prides itself on its friendly community, and you can expect a warm welcome during your day trip. Locals are helpful, and their enthusiasm for their town adds to the overall charm and enjoyment of the visit.
In conclusion, Thirsk’s compact size, historical sites, charming shops, beautiful surroundings, bustling markets, and friendly community make it a great destination for a day out. It provides a perfect balance of cultural experiences, relaxation, and exploration within a manageable timeframe.